Big cat: Chester Zoo in Cheshire is home to 11, 000 animals, including a trio of Asiatic lions
Chester Zoo was also named the second best zoo in Europe and the top facility of its kind in the UK
More than one million people visit Chester Zoo every year to view more than 400 species of wildlife
Rounding out the world's top five are San Diego Zoo in California, Loro Parque in Tenerife, St. Louis Zoo in Missouri and Singapore Zoo.
Chester Zoo is home to more than 11, 000 animals from over 400 species and is set in 110 acres of zoological gardens.
Managing director Jamie Christon celebrated the honour, saying: ‘We’re absolutely delighted to have received the seal of approval from the public and named the best zoo in the UK and indeed one of the very best in the world.
‘Our sincere thanks go to every single person that has come here because, as a registered charity, their visits help us to carry out all of our vital conservation work – saving species from extinction both here in the UK and overseas.’
UK zoos fared extremely well in the tables, taking eight spots in the European top 25 – more than any other country on the Continent.
Colchester Zoo in Essex finished eighth and Paignton Zoo in Devon ninth.
They were followed by Folly Farm in Begelly in South Wales (13th), Blackpool Zoo (14th), Durrell Wildlife Park in Jersey (21st), Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens at Burford in Oxfordshire (22nd) and Knowsley Safari Park at Prescot in Merseyside (25th).
Nebraska's Henry Doorly Zoo, voted the best in the world, features a Desert Dome that cost £18million
Magnificent Monterey Bay Aquarium in California was named the best aquarium in the world by travellers
Within the UK, the North West has more top zoos than anywhere else in the country.
In the aquariums category, The Deep in the Yorkshire city of Hull was voted the ninth best aquarium in Europe.
California’s Monterey Bay Aquarium was named the best aquarium in the world.
TOP 10 ZOOS IN THE WORLD
- Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, Nebraska
- San Diego Zoo, San Diego, California
- Loro Parque, Puerto de la Cruz (Tenerife), Spain
- St. Louis Zoo, Saint Louis, Missouri
- Singapore Zoo, Singapore
- Chester Zoo, Chester, United Kingdom
- Prague Zoo (Zoo Praha), Prague, Czech Republic
- Tiergarten Schoenbrunn – Zoo Vienna, Vienna, Austria
- Bioparc Valencia, Valencia, Spain
- Gramado Zoo, Gramado, Brazil
TOP 10 ZOOS IN THE UK
- Chester Zoo, Cheshire
- Colchester Zoo, Essex
- Paignton Zoo, Devon
- Folly Farm Adventure Park and Zoo, Begelly, South Wales
- Blackpool Zoo
- Durrell Wildlife Park, Trinity, Jersey
- Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens, Burford, Oxfordshire
- Knowsley Safari Park, Merseyside;
- South Lakes Safari Zoo, Cumbria
- Blair Drummond Safari and Adventure Park, Stirling, Scotland