Listing the Top 10 Beaches in South Devon is a difficult task! Everyone wants something different from a beach, be it peace and quiet, water sports or family fun.
Using the answers given to us by you in our latest visitor survey we have compiled the below list of top 10 beaches in South Devon.
Some of them are quiet retreats whereas others are busier with a range of attractions nearby. We hope that this list helps you to decide which will be your ideal South Devon beach.
- Bantham Beach - This beach is long and sandy with water shallow enough for children to swim safely, and lively enough for water sports enthusiasts further out.
- - A large open beach, suitable for surfing, with stunning views of Burgh Island and the South Hams coastline. At low tide the causeway is exposed to allow access to Burge Island, catch the sea tractor back at high tide.
- Blackpool Sands - Blue Flag beach, and one of the most stunning in the while region. A large shingle, beach surrounded by evergreen trees.
- Dawlish Warren - Dawlish Warren is great for wildlife enthusiasts and families looking for a large beach and who want to join in with local events and festivals. There are also traditional amusement arcades and refreshments at this beach.
- East Portlemouth - Perfect for people wanting to enjoy a day of peace and quiet this sandy beach is situated on the estuary opposite Salcombe.
- - A sheltered, sandy cove in the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) which is popular with families. The beach is backed by rocky cliffs and the village of Hope. Hope Cove was also used for filming by the BBC for The Coroner.
- Salcombe North Sands and South Sands Beaches – Two wonderful beaches located close to Salcombe providing easy access to all the town has to offer. Salcombe North beach is totally submerged at high tide.
- - Shaldon beach is located at the mouth of the River Teign and is a gently sloping mix of sand and shingle that levels out at the river estuary.
- - A long sandy beach providing lots of room for beach games and walks. Ideal for families and nature lovers with Slapton Ley Nature Reserve found right next to the beach.
- Teignmouth - A long, family friendly beach overlooked by the impressive Victorian pier, with large children’s play area, skate park and crazy golf nearby.